Life is so full of surprises and everyday obstacles, how can we keep up with everyday life and be sure to include needed nutrients and minerals. Though, we all may need to increase our veggie and fruit intake, but what nutrients are we in desperate need of? Here are a list of nutrients we commonly have low intake of but need daily.
- Calcium- a must for strong healthy bones, but it also helps control your blood pressure. As we grow older our body needs even more calcium. Calcium can be found dairy products try eating more dairy products such as low-fat or fat free yogurt, cheese, and milk. If you have a dairy allergy or lactose intolerant, you can get calcium from dark green leafy vegetables broccoli is very high in calcium.
- Vitamin A- this essential vitamin is great for your vision and immune system just to name a couple of things, incorporate carrots, sweet potatoes, pumpkins, vegetables yellow or orange in color usually has a high amount of Vitamin A, you can find vitamin A in dark leafy vegetables such as spinach.
- Potassium- this nutrient plays such a large role in our cardiac system, impacts the muscle and nerve system tremendously. Dangerous high or low levels of this nutrient can result in health. You can get potassium from potatoes, bananas, oranges and many others,
- Folic Acid- though, we all need folic acid, young preteen girls should be encouraged to ingest a lot more due to the fact that folic acid helps prevent birth defects. Lentils, dark green leafy vegetable, enriched pasta are all good sources of folic acid
- Iron- if you ever had an iron supplement you must know it is very constipating, it's much better to ingest your iron from natural sources than to have such a depletion that you need an oral supplement. Meat is high in iron, such as chicken, turkey, pork and beef. You can find iron in dark green leafy vegetables such as spinach.
Try keeping a food journal this will help you get an idea of the nutrients you maybe missing.